Wednesday 31 December 2014

A Winter Picnic

Well, I've reached my half century ..... aren't I the lucky one! R tends to get a bit maudlin around his birthday, whereas I try to look on the positive side - it's an awful lot better than the alternative! I was really lucky with the weather; the 28th dawned sunny but very cold.
My family had asked what I wanted to do for my birthday; it's always an awkward one being so close to Christmas. We all have our birthdays around this time of year, within 6 weeks of each other, so it tends to feel as if we're all celebrated out. I didn't even want a birthday cake this year! Given the lovely weather, I thought a walk and a picnic would be nice, so we dug out the circular walk book, packed a rucksack with food and flasks of hot chocolate and tea and off we went.
It was a bit crunchy underfoot:
 An early sign of Spring?
Over the stile:
 The oak tree where we enjoyed our lunch:
 Enjoying the view:
 Quiche and salady bits:

 E borrowed the camera and took some photos. I like this one because of the rainbow effect:
 ...... and the reflections in this one: 
 The walk took us back via the towpath which was incredibly muddy. There are no photos of this bit as we were concentrating hard on not falling over!
It wasn't too long a walk as R had managed to catch 'the lurgy' at work and E and I were beginning to come down with it. Back home, I played with some of my presents:

A new veggie cook book - I can heartily recommend the caramelized garlic tart!
Birthday lilies:
A new apron - this photo took me a while. I tried taking a selfie without the aid of a mirror, but there was some horrible crepey neck/double chin thing going on - well, I am 50 you know!
.... and, my new toy - who's a lucky girl then?!
A Thai meal in the evening completed a really lovely day. Sore throats abound at the moment, so I'm just off for some more hot mulled apple juice - it's surprisingly soothing. Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.
Cheers!


6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!

    I got hold of Plenty at the library last week, I'm currently jotting down lots of ideas. It's a fantastic book. I know what you mean about having a birthday close to Christmas, it can be hard to think of fresh ways to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to you, glad you had such a lovely day! A sunny winter picnic is a fantastic idea, just the thing to blow away the cobwebs, and I do like the pretty apron. I know what you mean about taking selfies - I'm rubbish at it and have a similar chin problem :) Mulled apple juice sounds just the ticket. Have a Happy New Year!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, mulled apple juice sounds wonderful. It looks like a good walk. We did one yesterday that was cut a bit short because one or two of us are still a bit under the weather. I do hope you're all better soon. Wishing you a very happy birthday. It's my best friend's birthday today as well. And I'm wishing you all a wonderful 2015. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. a birthday picnic sounds wonderful xxx and the mulled apple juice sounds delicious xxx happy birthday wishes once more, and have a very happy new year too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year and also sending a big birthday wish to you. 2015 will be special, milestone birthdays are allowed to last, indulge yourself where possible.
    Your new kitchen gadget is gorgeous, love the colour.
    Ha now that is what I call a picnic! scrummy.
    All the very best to you, looking forward to sharing your special year with you.
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very belated Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, and Happy New Year! I'm glad you like Minnie. xxx

    ReplyDelete