Tuesday 1 September 2015

Barcelona

Hello there, long time no see. We've been away for a few days on holiday to sunny, 30 degrees Barcelona. We are usually masters of the last minute holiday but this year we took it to a whole new level - booked it at 2:30, flight at 7! We caught the plane from Heathrow by the skin of our teeth and spent the next 4 days in something that actually felt like summer. I really liked Barcelona - gorgeous architecture, friendly people, Gaudi, Picasso, Veggie Paella and Sangria - what's not to like? Well, apparently R didn't! It appears that he'd rather have spent the 4 days on a man-made beach, with a beer, furtively ogling the young girls. Separate holidays next time I feel! Separate lives maybe?
Anyway, here are some of the bits that I enjoyed:











A highlight for the girls - segway tours of the city:













To top it all off, we then missed the flight home. R insists that arriving at an airport the recommended 2 hours beforehand is for wimps. Despite us all trying to dissuade him, he then decided to reorganize the bags to allow for 1 light rucksack to take round our supposed 4 hour stopover at Berlin. The removed articles (now basically in a bin bag) he had wrapped in film and attached to a small suitcase which morphed into a large, unwieldy, wheel-free, difficult to transport mass. Needless to say, by this time we were too late to check in and then somehow it was everyone else's fault. I'll leave it to your imagination what the atmosphere was like when we had to spend the rest of the day at the airport and were £900+ the lighter for the additional flights home, with no stopover in Berlin!
So, if I was feeling blue beforehand (thank you so much for your kind comments by the way), our holiday didn't do much to dispel it. All there is to look forward to now is the start of term!

11 comments:

  1. Oh....how awful to have missed the flight and then having to fork out that much money!!! It's the naughty step for R for sure! Sorry that ruined it, looking at your pics it looks just beautiful, I really like all the mosaic work, what's not to like? Chaps eh....
    Well I hope we get an Indian summer and you have lots of lovely days out!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I feel for you! I think R should maybe stay at home next time, or at least let someone else make the travel decisions. But it looks totally amazing, such great photos full of life and colour and heat. I've never been to Barcelona but I'd love to go one day. I hope you can hang on to some of that holiday feeling. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that it didn't work out as you hoped. I hope that perhaps you can look back on the good parts when you have got over the bad parts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photos, it looks like such an interesting city. Sorry to hear about the journey home and the extra cost.. I read your story and totally sympathized. What is it about guys and check in times. My vacation story is that last time we travelled my guy left his jacket and passport at a museum. Needless to say they were not turned in. So we lost 2 vacation days getting a new passport. I was not happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear, so sorry the trip had a disastrous ending. the photos of Barcelona are wonderful, such vibrant colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos of a very exciting and beautiful city - I'd love to go one day! I'm sorry that things didn't go so well at times. I do hope that you can relish the fun bits of your holiday - it looks like you got a lot out of your choice of destination.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no the ending sounds awful, we nearly missed some flights back a few years ago, certainly not an experience I would want to repeat xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, this is not good! If you were going to leave £900 in Barcelona I would hope there were shoes involved. Hopefully in time you'll forget the bad parts and remember the good, because for the look of the photos you got a LOT done in four days.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, so sorry to hear about the fraught ending of your holiday, I can only imagine the frosty atmosphere on the way home. But Barcelona looks amazing, I love the first photo of the stained glass, it's like a rainbow. Hope your week has improved. Pop over to my blog as you were the winner of my scissor fob give away! If you're on Ravelry, you can send me your address, or else I have given you my email address in the blog post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry your holiday ended the way it did. Hooefully you can still remember the nice bits of your holiday though. Thanks for sharing your photos...G and I went to Barcelona a couple of times before our daughter was born and we loved it. I thought it was an amazing city.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for the rather abrupt ending to an otherwise great stay in Barcelona. I'm sure when you look back on your stay in the future, you'll be gladdened by the memories that you made there. Barcelona is beautiful in the summer. Maybe R will behave next time you two go on a holiday. Your photos show how lovely it was.

    Garrett Newman @ Branson Regal

    ReplyDelete