Thursday 14 April 2016

Bugger!

Two posts in one day - get me! I just had to pop in again to tell you about my knitting disaster. I've been trying to knit the 'Wheel of Colour' cushion from 'The Gentle Art of Knitting' by Jane Brocket and for a wee while I have been wondering about the width of my stripes. The pattern reads :
"Rows 1&2: K3, turn. sl 1, knit to end." and I assumed that because it said rows 1 & 2, I had to do it twice! There apparently was my mistake, as those instructions counted for rows 1&2 together. Consequently,my stripes are twice as wide as they are supposed to be! Pause for deep breathing. Here is what the cushion is supposed to be (photo taken from the book):
...... and here is my version:
Do you see my problem? My dilemma now is whether to complete 3 lots of each colour, as opposed to 4. This would give me a slightly bigger than intended circle and something more reminiscent of a radioactivity warning sign than a wheel of colour. I could possibly get away with that but it may be slightly baggy. Or, I could tink the whole lot and start again!

I was bemoaning the fact that even if I went with the 'Radioactivity Cushion' it wouldn't fit brilliantly. E looked up from her history revision and said " Never mind, Mummy. I think you'll find that as far as that cushion is concerned, the good ship 'Tasteful' had long since sailed anyway!" Well!

The only consolation was when I looked it up on Ravelry, I'm not the only one to have made the same mistake. Any suggestions as to what I could do with my cushion would be gratefully received - I suspect R is just aching to tell me!

Have a good evening. x

9 comments:

  1. oh what a shame. teenagers. so helpful.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I can identify with this as I've done very similar things myself. Maybe the radioactive version? Sometimes trying to make it work takes even more time than starting again, though.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lordy teenagers you have to love them don't you. Yes it is wider but that makes it uniquely yours xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, as Jo said, teenagers!! I am just in awe of the knitting! I wish I could knit! You will figure it out I am sure. It might be worth dropping a comment to the pattern designer on Ravelry to let them know about the confusion as you can link errata or update patterns on Ravelry and perhaps they would like to do that. Whatever you do it will be wonderful and for what it is worth I love your cushion and the colours!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's harsh, but she did make me laugh. I'm really not a fan of undoing things and doing them again, so I'd press on regardless. Everyone needs a radioactivity warning cushion in their home. I hope you have a good weekend, and I shall look forward to seeing your Finished Object. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch!! Straight to the point there! I wonder what you are going to do with your cushion! I rather like it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh....how frustrating. I couldn't bear to start again so I carry on, I think it looks rather good as is!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, I would undo it if it was me, normally, but I rather like your version........

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would carry on, your version looks good to me and I wouldn't worry about teenagers. You could always make a second 'correct' one in slightly different but complementary colours, which may mean adding to the yarn basket ...

    ReplyDelete