Tuesday 7 May 2019

Just Mooching

Hello there; long time, no see! It's been a while since my last post - they seem to have been few and far between recently. I hope you all enjoyed the Easter holidays. I was spoilt by having both girls home again. L, just for the bank holiday weekend, and E for about 3 weeks as it was uni end of term. 
E was snowed under with work, unfortunately. Her dissertation deadline was noon on May 2nd and she eventually submitted it at 11:20am on that date. I was more stressed than she was. If you are 1 second over the deadline, you are automatically docked 10%, and I think it increases the longer you miss it by. R was telling horror stories of a colleague's son who left his dissertation submission to the last minute. There was a computer glitch and it was sent 15 seconds too late with the resulting automatic penalty. Our internet is hit and miss at the best of times, so I was more than a little relieved when it was finally sent off. She had 'pulled an all nighter' in order to get it finished, so had a celebratory G&T in the bath and then crashed out! She's now back in Bristol working hard for her finals. 
Aside from my role providing reassurance, calming thoughts and endless meals and snacks, there have been a few happies throughout April. Here are just a few of them:

Walking back from town one day, I passed a flyer for a 'learn to meditate' workshop at our local Elizabethan manor house. Run by a Buddhist Nun (who knew?), it sounded fun, so I bought tickets for R and myself. Needless to say, on the night, R got on the wrong train from London, ended up in Didcot and missed the whole thing (if I were the suspicious sort, I'd say he did it deliberately!). Luckily, there was someone there that I vaguely knew, so I sat with her instead. It was very relaxing. On the few occasions that I have tried meditation in the past, I have failed dismally, my mind monkeying around thinking about what to make for dinner etc. This time I was fine initially, but for a first session it went on a little too long for me and I got a bit fidgety towards the end. The talk was good though. She had a very relaxing voice, and I considered it worth the £10 ticket price ........ possibly not the £20 though!
Coming out of the workshop, I saw an advert for their food and craft fair. R and I went along at the weekend and it was quite fun.There were various animals - kune kune piglets, donkeys and the like, which were very cute. We also bought a few plants and a small pot of wood 'butter' for oiling dried out wooden spoons etc. My kitchenware is now more moisturised than my face!
One of the craftsmen was advertising his copper foiling workshops. I signed up for one and went along a couple of weeks ago. I had expected more people to be attending but, weirdly, it was just him and me. Still, one to one tuition isn't bad and it was great fun. Here are my attempts:
 
 
It was a really quick and easy technique - much easier than the leading that I have done in the past.

I had a pair of jeans that were getting rather worn out at the knee - not designer tears,  just worn out! I thought I'd try sashiko darning and I'm rather pleased with how they turned out. R looked askance at them when I planned to wear them out in public but I have no shame!
Attending a joint dog and garden show at the showground. There were 2 queues to get in - the garden one, which we wanted, being £2 cheaper than the dog show entry price. Strangely, once you got in, the 2 were mixed together. It worked out rather well; the garden bit was a tad disappointing, but the dog show was great fun. You could 'hug a rescued pug' in a tent. Myrtle with a sticky out tongue stole my heart. The nicest bit was that the dogs were all having so much fun. They all seemed thrilled to see each other and could enter pens where they could bounce all over hay bales etc. I had to look twice at this particular one - initially, I thought it just had a strange fur do!

 Blossom and blue sky - one of my favourite sights:

 
Pre-slug hostas:
I do love a nice skip (the rubbish containing kind, not the method of locomotion!) I'll always have a nosy if we happen to pass one and one of my favourite finds was a small table in a skip outside L's college in Oxford. It's referred to as the 'Merton table' and is a nice memento of her time there. A couple of weeks ago, I happened to notice the bedside table below dumped by a bin close to our house. The bin was in someone's garden and we were on our way somewhere, so I didn't think too much about it. Forward a week and L and I were popping to the shop to buy emergency ketchup for a BBQ. I mentioned that our walk would take us by the garden where I'd spotted the bedside table (L being in need of one). It was still there, but as it was 9am on a Saturday morning, I thought it would be a little thoughtless to knock on someone's door so early. We returned at 11, and the lady said she had put it there whilst it was waiting to be taken to the dump and we were welcome to it if we wanted it. Result! I carried the drawer and L carried the rest -  fair division of labour! I had thought that she might want it painted, but after we had dried it out in the sun for 2 days (it had been left out in the rain for a week) and sanded it to get rid of some felt tip marks, she decided that she would like it waxed. Some Briwax and elbow grease later and she has a 'new' bedside table. Admittedly, it is currently cluttering up our hall. She came home by train and didn't fancy the return journey with a rather hefty piece of furniture, so we will take it when we go to London in a couple of weeks.
 The ketchup came in very handy for the first BBQ of the season:
 The Easter weekend was glorious and even E was persuaded into the garden for a change of scene. You can study just as well in a hammock!
 We also went for a picnic by the river and a walk in the woods to see the bluebells:




 I find that they never show up very well on photos:

 When we were looking at houses to buy many years ago, the thing that swung this one was that it backed onto  a river. When we walked to the end of the garden there was a duck and some ducklings sitting on the lawn. The girls immediately wanted 'the duck house' and every year since then we have been lucky enough to have ducklings coming up to the back door to be fed. It can be heart breaking at times though as they are vulnerable to all sorts of predators - the neighbours' cats being top of the list! Some ducks make better mothers than others. The one below is, sadly, down to 1 duckling as she seems to be in her own little world, forgetting that they are there, flying off with the male, and eating most of the food provided.
An evening at the theatre. Based along similar lines to the old television programme 'Whose Line is it Anyway?', it was an impressive and very funny evening's entertainment:
 Getting my Green Man back after its fiiring: 
 Finally, the 'Crafty Craft' Race. A local, traditional event held annually on the first bank holiday Monday in May. Teams raise money for charity by racing homemade craft along the Kennet and Avon canal. They have to pick it up and carry it round whenever they reach a lock.
Well, that's all for this week. The weather is supposed to be rainy for the rest of the week, so I'm just off to plant out my cavolo nero and chard whilst it's still fine. Enjoy the rest of the week.

Toodle pip for now.x 

8 comments:

  1. Poor E grafting like that, do hope her results reflect all her hard work. Meditation is hard isn't it, if I manage five minutes I always feel better. Oh...love your copper foiling artwork and your Green Man, I'd buy those!!!Hug a Pug....brilliant, like that little dog's outfit. I'm so impressed with the rescued bedside table, if we all did that the planet would be better off. Recycle rather than buy new!!! Oh....I get what your saying about ducklings, seeing their demise here is heartbreaking too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am impressed with the 'new' bedside table and agree with Snowbird about recycling. We've got to stop being so consumerist. Love the Green man and shame about the ducklings- M always says ducks don't make very attentive mothers. Glad the dissertation got in OK- those on line submissions seem so fraught with potential problems don't they. Not like handing in a paper copy! I agree about meditation, I don't enjoy it- my runs are where I rest my mind! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the bluebells are lovely. I really like the way your jeans turned out. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always seem to get up to so many lovely things Like the sound of the foiling workshop and that bedside tale is great, what a find! Yes we seem to live our children's lives with them, particularly the stressful bits, hopefully the dissertation goes down well with the assessors. We too enjoyed easter al fresco although we've made up for it since! B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blossom is gorgeous. Is that your garden with the hammock in it? If so, it is amazing! And yes, I reckon your husband got on the wrong train on purpose. I know mine would have!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, thank you. At that distance you can't see all the weeds! xx

      Delete
  6. Wow, so many lovely things here. Your stained glass is beautiful and I love your Green Man. You are so creative. x

    ReplyDelete