Tuesday 9 December 2014

Christmas Wreath

Greetings! It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas round these parts. This weekend I made my first ever Christmas wreath! I feel I ought to hang my head in shame whilst admitting that, until now, the wreath which has adorned our front door each year has been .............. artificial. There, I've said it. I'm not judging anyone - artificial wreaths are easy, cheap and long-lived, which is why we had one for so long, but making your own is so satisfying. From foraging for greenery, cones, berries etc., to wrapping the moss around the ring and then finally doing the artistic bits - it's all so much fun. No more plastic wreaths for me - from now on, every December I shall be out there in the garden, secateurs in hand, chopping at the foliage. My only wish is that I had a nicer front door to put it on. You know the sort - either a beautiful old wooden one or a gaily painted (in my mind's eye I'm seeing pillar box red or duck egg blue) one. Tragically, ours in the one we inherited with the house: a 1950s glass one. In its defense, it does make for a very light hallway, which is why it's still with us.
Anyway, here are some photos of my wreath:
Gathering my bits and bobs:

A sink full of greenery:

and .........Ta-Dah!

See, hideous front door isn't it?! I know, I should be grateful to have a front door at all, but it doesn't exactly fill my heart with joy. Anyway, I'm really rather proud of my first attempt at a wreath. It's a bit asymmetrical, I admit, but I do love it, and everyone is made to stop and admire it on entering or leaving the house!

There are a few other happies this week, although the biggest happy is that L is home from uni for the holidays! Here are some of the others:

Finishing my hooked picture (the missing colour finally arrived through the post on the second attempt at posting it!). Now it just needs a frame:

Borrowing some festive books from the library:

After a really mild November, we are now getting frosts in the morning. It's really quite chilly and the de-icer is much in evidence first thing.

Lots of hot soup is being consumed. This one is carrot and squash:

Now that L is home she has opened her birthday presents, so I can show you the home made ones that had been kept secret. The coastal ripple blankie has already featured here, as she had seen it in progress. I also made her:
some birthday bunting:

A 'Happy 21st Birthday' tea light holder:

... and a crocheted owl; pattern courtesy of BunnyMummy.

E  made her a fancy Pusheen cake (yes, there seems to be a bit of a theme going on with cakes at the moment!):

 One final happy - seeing this at the cinema on Sunday:

It was very good but exceedingly long - 3 and a half hours! I seem to remember that it was quite a short play to read, so I'm not sure how they managed to spin it out for so long.

Anyway, I must dash - the school run and a trip to the dentist await! Wishing you a lovely week, with maybe a mince pie or two!

Toodle Pip for now. x

14 comments:

  1. Your wreath is beautiful, especially considering it's a first attempt - you'd never know! I love your hooked picture, so very neat. My oldest will be back from university in a week and a half's time, and will also be 21 next month, and my son will be home this weekend. It'll be lovely to all be together for Christmas. All of the things you've made for your daughter are lovely - you've been busy :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wreath is gorgeous. I've never made one either, but you're inspirign me. I especially like the orange slices, the pine cones and the berries, they really make it. Beautifully done. And such lovely things you made for your daughter as well, you're a top mum! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your wreath, only ever made one before-it was I could say-artistic!, hoping to have another bash next week.
    You really did have a frost, not so much here but a dusting of snow on the mountains today, none on lower ground so it looked pretty without the hassle of getting to work.
    Love your bunting x
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly fine wreath on that door. Also love that owl. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love your wreath and little owl....and the bunting! How very creative you are.
    A little frost around this time of the year is always rather festive, but a pain when you have to de-frost the car!
    Do you have a follow button on your blog? Or am I being stupid?xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello - thank you so much for your kind comments. I'm not the most technologically minded person (my eldest set up my blog for me!). As far as I know, I don't have a follow button, but I do seem to have a few followers, so it must be possible somehow. I think you may need to copy http://tales-from-the-riverbank.blogspot.co.uk/ and paste it into the 'add blog to follow' bit on your site. I'll check that with L tomorrow and get back to you!. x

      Delete
  6. I have no clue either....I would like to follow you,as I have a memory like a sieve, and it's so nice when new posts just come into my email! No probs, I'll just make a mental note! I have my own website so am not on any blogger sites.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh - I think I may have managed it! It was buried somewhere in the 'layout' and 'Add a gadget' bit. Do let me know if it works. Is it possible to follow a website too? Apologies for my ignorance! x

      Delete
  7. Beautiful wreath! I remember making one a few years ago but I've forgotten how I did it. Live your punch needle too. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one pretty wreath. I have been using the same old artificial wreath from M&S for the last few years but I'd like to have a go at making my own. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful wreath. I have made a fabric one but we have had a new door and my bloke is warding me off banging a nail in it! Thanks for stopping by my blog and having a look around. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has a good and lovely building nice too see it.Thank you for sharing,,it is really very useful,,some dentist have better experience that other ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such an great site which has remained often right guidance for me.This is such an awesome creation.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete